This weekend one of my goals was to finally install the secondary shelves we ordered for the greenhouse several weeks ago. I had found myself nearing a shortage on space as I was sowing seeds, and wanting a place to keep smaller plants.
The first step was simply clearing off one side of the greenhouse to set things up.
This little guy was hiding in the corner. He (or she) stuck it out for a surprising time before the drilling became too much. The little frog made its way to the other side of the greenhouse where it stayed for the rest of the time. I lost track of it after moving things back to the other side.
Sorry I don't have more photos of the process. I was in work mode. Suffice it to say, I love the new shelves, even if they did end up a bit wonky. I misplaced the directions and couldn't find them until I was done. I made several mistakes so that the cedar slats don't fit properly into the metal framework, but they still hold plants. That's all that matters, right? Right now the shelves are mostly holding small succulents, orchids, and bromeliads. Things that wanted a bit more shade (or at least tolerate more) than even the shade cloth provides now can find it under the shelves. I tried to place things that could handle more water under the orchids and things that couldn't under the succulents. We'll see how that works out.
So much more space for seeds and new plants! And I took out the tower of spiral iron shelves at the back wall. It made it difficult to access the back corners and all the electrical stuff on the back wall. Now the heater can sit out in the open, away from the shelves, and I feel more secure that I won't accidentally douse it with water.
And that's how I spent a good chunk of my Sunday. Thankfully I managed to finish by 12:30, before it got really hot.