Sneak Peek of My Lewis River Hike

Since I'll be spending most of the week in eastern Washington in the Okanagan area, I had planned to write and schedule posts ahead of time for the whole week. I guess I should have started a day or two earlier, since events (and laziness) conspired to keep me from writing. Watering, filling in ditches, watering, weeding, and various other plant-related tasks filled up much of my time. Did I mention watering? If last summer didn't convince me to start shifting towards drought tolerant plants, this spring certainly has. The cold I got over more than a week ago is still showing some effect through my messed up sleeping pattern, so I've been trying (and mostly failing) to get that back in order. I envy those for whom sleep comes easily. But that's getting off topic. Would I do that? Ramble on about nothing? Me? No need to share your opinions on that point. We all know the answer. Between the heat discouraging further planting and my messed up sleeping pattern, I've been rather lazy the last couple weeks, even when it hasn't been that hot because I know the heat is going to return.

That's why it's good to get away from the garden for a day of hiking, after making sure everything is watered, of course. Here's a quick preview of yesterday's hike along the Lewis River, from the upper end of Swift Reservoir to the lower Lewis River Falls. Well, quick for me, at least. Lots of pictures with few words. Please forgive this lazy tour guide. He's currently nursing a headache, but will be more than happy to answer any questions about the pictures below. I've numbered them for easier reference.

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

13

14

15

16

17

18

19

20

21

22

23

24

25

26

27

28

29

30

31

32

33

34



Comments

  1. I've been spending a lot of time watering and hauling hoses and sprinklers around the garden too. Such a PITA. And it doesn't seem to make any difference, the soil still seems to be dry as dust when the sprinkler stops. I have too many brown, crinkly-leaved plants. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my watering is keeping them on life support till the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deep watering and clay soil means things at least stay watered for a little while in my garden. Except little root balls that have yet to venture out into the surrounding soil, those need water all the time. I hope your crispy plants surprise you next spring!

      Delete
  2. Mmmm. I could almost feel and smell the cool fresh air. Enjoy your time in Eastern WA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful. Definitely a good choice for a hot day.

      Delete
  3. Such calm and cool walk along the river. Great photos. You can probably name the fern in #5, and the flower in #8. Grate trunk in #15. This is such an efficient way to post :-)
    What is the white stuff growing in the last picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do you one better, or rather two. There are three different ferns in #5, but I'm guessing you're looking at the western maidenhair fern, Adiantum aleuticum. There's also western sword fern, Polystichum munitum, and lady fern, Athyrium felix-femina. The flower in #8 is Linnaea borealis, or twinflower, because the flowers are born in pairs on each stem. The white stuff in the last picture is Monotropa uniflora, commonly called Indian pipe. I'll be discussing the Linnaea and Monotropa when I have time to do a detailed post.

      Delete
  4. Feel better, Evan...headaches are no fun. Beautiful tour, I think we've been on the same one on the Lewis river. Gorgeous. Thank you for sharing and it was great to finally meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tamara. I've done the upper section along the three main falls before, but I don't think I've done this section before. It was a nice change. Wonderful to meet you, as well!

      Delete
  5. The Lewis River is one of my favorite places to hang out, and it has been far too long. Thanks for the reminder. More pictures coming? Please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful, isn't it? Absolutely more pictures coming. This post covered most of the wide shots. Next I'll zoom in on some of the plants I saw.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful, lush scenery. I hope your headache is already long forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gorgeous. Unfortunately the headache is still lurking.

      Delete
  7. There is so much we can learn from God's landscape. Beautiful photos, Evan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts