Wed- er...Thursday Vignette...

Yesterday I was thinking about Wednesday Vignette, hosted by Anna at Flutter & Hum, realizing I had a scene I really wanted to share, but that it would be best to wait until this morning to capture it. A week or two ago I was walking along the driveway and stopped to look out over the yard. I'm not sure I had ever looked at the garden from quite that angle before, and I saw something wonderful: it's actually starting to look like a garden! Things are starting to fill in, some of the trees are actually taller than me, and I can start to imagine the view as those trees mature. This is the area of the garden that stays relatively green through the summer, though even in the back of this picture, where it usually would be fairly brown, the grass is looking rather green thanks to the cool summer we're having this year. The really dry area is around the other side of the house to the left and another area blocked from view by the greenery in the right. If you can see the black plastic covering the mound on the right edge of the photo, it's behind and to the right of that. (The plastic is baking a mound of soil full of Canadian thistle.) I've been loving the cool weather, both for my own comfort and to alleviate stress on my young plants while they get established, but in terms of lawn I'm really missing the scorching weather of last year. I'm tired of trimming bed edges!



Anyway, back to the scene at hand. The soft, misty morning light was perfect, giving the leaves a glow without causing any glare. It's still very young, but it's actually starting to look like a garden! It's just such a nice feeling to look at your garden and feel that all that toil has actually been worth something; that you haven't just been making a mess.


Comments

  1. I'm enjoying your AHA! moment...but probably not as much as you are. Yes, it does indeed look like a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking absolutely lovely, and promises a lush, green, sheltering oasis a few years down the line, when the trees get taller. I too have reveled in the luxury of a cooler than normal summer. It has been a life saver for me, and certainly for my shrinking collection of homeless plants! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! That lush green oasis is what I'm hoping for in this area. Hope you're beach trip has been relaxing! It is nice to be a disconnected once in a while.

      Delete
  3. It's a great day when you can look at your garden and think PROGRESS! The young tree in the middle ground to the right looks great in the morning light. I hope your cooler summer temps continue - we've been enjoying comfortable weather too but there's a heatwave forecast for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! That tree is my variegated dove tree. I'm actually a little worried about it. It's in a patch of poorer soil on the edge of the green area. It's looking a little peaked and only grew a few inches this year. Last year it grew 2 feet! I need to work some compost in around it. Sadly, the heat has returned, here, and looks to be staying for at least the next week.

      Delete
  4. This is an excellent vantage point in the garden; it would not be quite so lovely with dead grass though, so don't fret over trimming the grass :-). Remember this exact position and retake the shot in 5 years. Beautiful vision coming together; I can totally see it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts