Abies balsamea 'Nana'

Abies balsamea 'Nana'

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Wednesday Vignette: Potential

The photo I'm sharing this week for Wednesday Vignette, hosted by Anna at Flutter & Hum, will be a bit repetitive to my Facebook friends, but I wanted to show everyone else, too. I shared most of the progress of my big projects yesterday. Today I'm showing the area off the back patio after I finished mulching it yesterday. I took the photo this morning, as the fog eliminated any shadows that would have obscured it.

I love the sight of a freshly-prepared bed, with that sharp contrast between dark mulch and bright bark chips on the paths. ready and waiting to be planted. It represents potential. It's the same reason I love flower buds as much as the flowers themselves. I have an idea of what I want this bed to be, but at this point it's still just an idea, hovering in the ether. I also love prepared beds because it means the next step is the most fun: planting! I'm still trying to wait for the rains, both to relieve me of worrying about watering and to soften the soil so I don't need a pickax to dig. I might plant a few things, watering the planting holes thoroughly to get them through until it rains. It depends on how much self-control I have. But now I can start placing things and get a better idea of where I want to plant everything. 

Click on the photo for a larger version.

This is just one area, though. I still have four other large areas, and a couple little spots, to cover before I'm done spreading mulch. Back to work...

3 comments:

  1. This is so exciting, Evan! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This wide angle 'After' picture is exactly what I was waiting to see. If I'm not mistaken, there were a few additional beds that were to receive the dark mulch treatment. What a sight!
    Since it's not predicted to rain till the weekend, its perfect weather for digging holes and staging plans. If I didn't have to go to work I'd volunteer to come and help. You parents must be thrilled with how its coming together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing what readers think and answering questions. I also welcome suggestions for improvement!