Wednesday Vignette

This week for Wednesday Vignette, hosted by Anna at Flutter & Hum, a scene from the gardens at Cistus. Arctostaphylos and rosemary are in full bloom. I love rosemary flowers. I've been admiring them everywhere it seems, except my own garden. Even my brother's potted rosemary is loaded with blooms. At least I'm a step closer. All three cultivars of rosemary that I planted last summer made it through winter. That may not seem like a big deal to anyone else, but it's a first for me. All my previous attempts to grow rosemary were thwarted by events like sudden hard frosts after a mild fall. This year, I planted two in the ground and one in a large container, which I stashed in the greenhouse during our brief cold spells this year. Maybe it was the insurance plant in the greenhouse, but all three survived, even the one in clay soil, despite the record rainfall in December. So maybe someday it will be possible for me to have a scene like this.

Comments

  1. Congratulations on your three rosemary plants surviving our rainy winter! I've given up on growing it in my current garden. I savor it in other gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always been one of my favorite plants to spot in bloom driving through neighborhoods.

      Delete
  2. Awesome! So now, when I need rosemary twigs for my barbecues, I'll know who to ask. I don't have either light or space enough in my garden to satisfy one of those. Unfortunately...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be happy to supply you, but I imagine you can find a more local and convenient source than my garden 60 miles north of Portland. What about your roof? There are dwarf cultivars that only get 1-2 feet tall and wide. Why not grow a rosemary in the gutter? Harvest might be a little tricky though...

      Delete
    2. Good idea! I'll just send one of the kids up... ;)

      Delete
  3. The 2 plants make great companions. Rosemary is virtually unkillable here - in fact my neighbor planted his entire slope with rosemary cuttings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see it everywhere here, too, but every time I tried to plant one, it grew way too lushly and then we got a weird weather event that killed it. I think now that I've gotten these ones through one winter, they'll be ok.

      Delete
  4. After many years of envy, seeing other's rosemary survive but not mine, I finally had success. It helps that we had a few mild winters in a row. Not dying is an important first step :-) and flowers I'm sure will follow. Doesn't rosemary bloom again in the summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your success! I'm surprised so many other people have said they've had trouble or given up. I thought I was the odd one. Yes, not dying is a very promising start. I think rosemary can flower virtually any time of year, provided the right conditions.

      Delete
  5. Purty! I've had pretty good luck with rosemary and am constantly cutting it away from the sidewalk so have an over abundant supply for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to using fresh rosemary a lot more in cooking. It's one of my favorite herbs.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts