Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, First Time!

I've been enjoying GBBD since I first stumbled across my first few garden blogs. Now that I have a blog, I'm joining in on the fun!

My first bloom is Rhododendron 'Periwinkle', a hybrid vireya rhododendron. I have 10 vireyas in various stages of development and they are one of my favorite groups within what is quite possibly my favorite genus, Rhododendron. This and my R. rubineiflorum are the only ones old enough to bloom. 'Periwinkle' has lots more buds to open up. R. rubineiflorum has 3 or 4 buds, but they are still growing, so you'll have to wait (trust me, it will seem longer for me than for you).

Rhododendron 'Periwinkle', a tropical vireya hybrid

I have several hellebores that hitched a ride with me after work one day. Since they are in 4-inch pots I brought them in during our last cold snap, 8 to 11 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on who you ask. The last two are different flowers on the same plant. Since this is the first time these plants are blooming, their flowers are still finding their full coloration and shape.





My Christmas cactus decided to bloom for Valentine's Day, which I deem more appropriate given it's color. This was my favorite plant of the week yesterday, which you can see here

My Ludisia discolor, a jewel orchid, has been blooming for over a week now. I "had" to take several pictures of the flowers to show off the various details.




And my newest addition, which was the feature of my inaugural post, here, is still blooming with it's strange, candy corn-like flowers.


Garden Blogger's Bloom Day is hosted by May Dreams Gardens. See what's blooming in other people's gardens by going to her page. May Dreams Gardens

Comments

  1. My hellebores are sleeping under a blanket of snow here in upstate New York. And my Christmas cactus produced one bloom earlier in February, dying just in time for GBBD, so I couldn't include it. All wonderful pictures, every one. Thank you for giving me a break from our long winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment, bookworm! Glad I could give you something to look at while everything is snowed in up there. I have friends up your way who have been buried in snow, too. You have my sympathies. Spring isn't far away!

      Delete
  2. Oh, that Vireya is amazing! I must find one! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Matt! 'Periwinkle' is such a cute, tidy little vireya, and thus far seems easy to bloom even indoors. I think your greenhouse could use a few vireyas. I know of three sources for vireyas in the U.S. You can find them here: http://www.vireya.net/buyvireyas.htm. The fourth, White Cloud Nursery, is not currently selling plants, unfortunately. I got my plants from them and they were so very helpful and sent me 5 free seedlings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an interesting flower on that Bromeliad. And the Rhodie too. I am having a love affair with orange lately. Welcome to GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! Happy to join in! I can't wait for the rest of my vireyas to grow up so I can see their flowers! Oranges are probably some of my favorite flower colors, though I am one of those hopeless addicts pining after the true blue flowers.

      Delete
  5. Those pictures of the hellebore flowers are something else - I like how the petals looks almost transparent! Thanks for joining in on Carol's GBBD, I like discovering new-to-me blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Renee. The last two flowers are a little translucent. I'm excited to see what colors it finally settles into. It's an odd one that is still "finding itself." I love these garden memes, like GBBD and Loree's Favorite Plant This Week. They're great for keeping us connected and sharing what is growing in different gardens (or houses, in my case).

      Delete
  6. I'm so excited you've got a vireya! There is a nursery here in Portland (Bovees) that has a greenhouse full, the first time I saw them in bloom I was blown away, so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've drooled over the Bovees website for a few years now. Can't wait to visit the actual nursery!

      Delete
  7. Welcome to GBBD. well you put on a good show for it! Lovely colors. All these blooms are exotic to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole. You could probably grow vireyas in the Caribbean. The species from lower elevations and their hybrids tolerate heat well. Also much flashier than the tiny blooms on my 'Periwinkle'.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts