Wednesday Vignette: Forest on a Frond

I'm joining in this week for Wednesday Vignette, hosted by Anna at Flutter&Hum, with just a single photo instead of doubling up my posts. Like last week, I didn't get my act together to write my post in advance, and so I'm unprepared for more than a quick post today. It worked out for the best, though, as I have time tomorrow and Friday to work on my monthly favorites post. So this will be a two-post week!

Back to the focus of this post, then. I spent much of Christmas day at the house of Sean Hogan in Portland. Much of the time was spent eating delicious food and chatting with wonderful people, but of course I made it out to the garden. Every visit to Sean's garden is a wonder, and I'm still familiarizing myself with my new camera. 

I spotted this patch of moss in the middle of a Trachycarpus frond, like a tiny little forested island in a green sea. Put yourself in the place of a creature living in that forest. Imagine it's your whole world, all you've ever known. Then step back into yourself, looking at this tiny bit of moss on a leaf. Then step outside of yourself to the world, the galaxy, the universe. Dizzy yet? I could wax on about how people get wrapped in their own lives and how it's good to test your perspective once in awhile, but I'll just leave you with these thoughts and a photograph.


Comments

  1. Moss on a palm frond... wow, that is a first for me! I love your thoughts on perspective - I often think similar thoughts myself. It's both redeeming and humbling, all at the same time. Happy New Year, Evan - I hope it will turn out far better than we both think it will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually find things that remind me of the larger world. This photo gave me a bit of a reversal, looking at a small world from a larger one. Happy New Year, Anna. I hope we can all make the best of it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Well, grade-A corn-fed BS, at the very least. ;)

      Delete
  3. Yes, perspective. I will repeat it today, over and over. The word of they year for 2017. Can't sweat the small stuff, keep it all in perspective. I love the little world of moss you discover. It is someone's whole world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is connected, big worlds and small. It's good to be reminded of that.

      Delete
  4. Love this photo, Evan. I'd write more, but I'm too wrapped up in my life right now.....
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. On anything that stands still for too long. ;)

      Delete
  6. It makes me think of two worlds colliding but I totally get the micro/macrocosm analogy too. I suspect we will be looking for meaning wherever we can find it in the near future. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the worlds colliding, too. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. You're right...we have to step back and view our world differently once in a while to remind ourselves what a big world we live in, not just the immediate surroundings we cobble together. The internet is so good in this; bringing us news from all corners of the world. Great photo. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts